There’s no time like spring to reflect on your environment and how it can be improved. With the passing of winter, many of us are anxious for a new beginning. Your home’s interior design and organization can affect everything in your life—your mood, your well-being, even your relationships. Beautifying your home with a home makeover can provide you with a much-needed pick-me-up and could even help you accomplish a lingering New Year’s resolution.
That being said, good interior design is often easier said than done. Here are four tips to make sure you can make the most of your space this year.
Add a Splash of Color
A great way to liven up any room is by adding a pop of bright color to an otherwise neutral palate. There are so many easy and inexpensive ways to do this, from using a single piece of furniture:
to a combination of accessories, such as flowers, cushions, curtains, rugs, or hanging art:
to wall paint combined with a few accent pieces:
Think about the character of your space when choosing an accent color. Cool colors, such as blue and green, work best in small rooms (they will make them look bigger), while warm ones, such as red and orange, work best in large spaces (they will make them feel cozier). For your neutral palatte, consider using beige, eggshell or light shades of grey rather than harsh whites.
Getting organized is a super useful “refresh” that will help make your life a lot easier and less painful. However, as we all know, organization often demands a bit of creativity. Here are some simple, budget-friendly solutions to help make your space neater and more liveable.
– Create hanging storage space. Hooks or doorknobs can be used to hang pocket organizers to store loose objects. If you’re feeling creative and don’t want to invest in a pocket organizer, consider making your own.
– Take time once a year to get rid of old clothes, books and other objects that are no longer useful to you. Don’t think too much about getting rid of things you don’t use—just do it. Store your out-of-season clothes away in a chest or other container. If you need more space for books, you can always make your own bookshelf using materials you have around the house.
– Find a way to organize the papers you have lying around. Consider investing in a small file cabinet or a set of accordion files for storage. For papers you want to display, such as reminders, notices or children’s artwork, the Casso® Display Rail will allow you to easily put them up and take them down at any time. Just think of the impact this one idea could have on organizing the front of your refrigerator.
Create a Unique Wall Display
Nothing will liven up a dull wall more than a display of photos or treasured objects. This is a great way to turn an empty wall space into the focal point of your room. Here are some ideas:
– Hang themed pictures in a row. You can use several photographs of an object shot at different angles, or a single photograph blown up to a very large size and then split into several sections. Hang your photos using the Click Rail System to ensure pictures are straight and avoid putting any holes in your wall. This will also allow you to revise and refresh you display again and again – while always avoiding damage to your walls. This is a great damage-free hanging solution.
– Use a wall or horizontal surface to display your collectibles. This works well when you have a variety of vintage flea-market collectibles in various shapes and sizes. Use the smaller objects to fill in any empty spaces left in your display. To avoid creating clutter attempt to group them with a common color or theme.
– Fill a stairway with photos of various shapes and sizes. This is a great way to use up an often-overlooked empty space that you see every day when going up and down the stairs. Add some variety by including family mementos along with your photos. There are many ways to accomplish this and some are easier than others.
Add Plant Life
The easiest way to make your house or apartment feel more alive is to add some living things. Plants take some maintenance, but the positive energy they will add to your room is worth it. They also have environmental benefits—they will increase oxygen in the room, add soothing humidity, and can even purify your air and help you focus.
If you don’t think you have a green thumb, try growing cacti, philodendrons, ivy, aloe or peace lilies—easy plants which can be kept alive indoors without much care.
Place plants near a window to give them an ample supply of sunlight, and consider adding some small pebbles (or even a tiny tabletop fountain).
Whether you’re ready for a total home makeover or just looking for a few quick changes to spice things up, implementing these spring interior design resolutions will help you take your home to the next level of interior design in 2016!
Let us know what a spring home makeover looks like to you!
If you have questions or would like to learn more about how our products can be beneficial in your project, please contact our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at 866 935-6949 (toll free) or at our local number 450 619-7999.
When you hang with AS Hanging Systems, you Hang with the Best®